Directorate General of Pest Warning & Quality Control of Pesticides are performing the following functions:
- Monitoring of pest development, For this purpose, 55 pest scouting teams have been constituted in the entire Punjab (one team at tehsil level comprising of one Agricultural Officer & 2-3 Pest Surveyors/ Field Assistants
- Each team conducts survey 5 days per week 8-10 spots are covered at random. Besides this 4 spots of 5 acre each have been fixed in each tehsil, where data is recorded on weekly basis.
- Issuance of weekly/ fortnightly pest scouting reports of all the crops, orchards and vegetables in different ecological zones of the province.
- Training of farmers, Extension workers and pesticide dealers in identification of insect pests and their appropriate and timely control measures. Training is done in the beginning of each crop season. Also educate about safe handling of pesticides and their effective use.
- Registration of Pesticides distributor in the Punjab
- Ensure that quality pesticides are available to the farmers. For this purpose Pesticides samples are drawn from companies' warehouses, stores & dealer shops and sent to Provincial & Federal Pesticides Testing Laboratories. The culprits are dealt with under the Pesticide Ordinance.