The Pest scouting teams conduct regular pest survey of all crops, vegetables and orchards throughout the year on weekly / fortnightly basis. Anti-Pest Campaigns of Wheat is launched w.e.f.15 December and continued till end of March. During Rabi season the following crops, vegetables and orchards are included in the pest scouting programme.
- Crops like Wheat, Gram, Spring Maize, Spring Moong, Sugarcane, Oil Seeds and Barseem/Lucern.
- Vegetables like Potato, Tomato, Peas, Onion, Garlic, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Spinach, Lettuce, Turnip, Radish and Carrot etc.
- Orchrds Like Citrus, Mango, Guava, Apple, Litchi and Falsa etc.
Pest Scouting Activities for Crops
- Pest scouting/survey of wheat is carried out according to the prescribed proforma.
- The farmers are motivated to apply selective herbicides (on need basis) after pest scouting to control the specific weeds (Narrow & Broad Leaved).
- Monitoring for the infestation/infection of other pests and diseases also be executed and the farmers are advised accordingly for adopting appropriate biological control measures i.e., installation of Trichogramma cards for providing pesticides free atmosphere and augmentation of other beneficial insects like coccinellid beetles & Chrysoperla etc.
Gram & Moong
- The areas where gram and spring moong is sown, pest survey is conducted and pest infestation / disease incidence is recorded on weekly basis.
- In case of any pest infestation, especially for American Bollworm (Helicoverpa spp.) the farmers are advised to be vigilant towards its management by use of Trichogramma cards.
- Use of IGRs (Insect Growth Regulators) against pest attack are recommended. Farmers are motivated to avoid the application of those pesticides on Gram and Moong which are being used against cotton pest in perspective of resistance management.
- The sugarcane pests are monitored on fortnight basis on September sown sugarcane and also on alternate host plants and pest infestation is recorded.All the sugarcane Mills of the Punjab are covered in each fortnight throughout the year @15 spots at random and 5 fixed spots during a fortnight.
- The farmers are guided to manage the pests (especially the Sugarcane Pyrilla) on alternate hosts to check their further spread and shifting to normal season sugarcane crop.
- For the management of Sugarcane Pyrilla, installation of cocoons of Epiricania will be recommended.
- The area where spring maize is sown is pest scouted and pest infestation is recorded on weekly basis.
- The farmers are being given consultancy for management of weeds through cultural practices and pests through use of specific pesticides against certain pests.
- Pest infestation and disease incidence is monitored on Oil seed crops i.e. Sarsoon, Toria, Sunflower, Canola etc.
- The farmers are guided to control the pests effectively emphasizing more on adoption of biological control measures rather than chemical control measures.
- Barseem is a main fodder crop of Rabi Season. Sometime, this crop is heavily attacked by pests like cascuta, Armyworm and Helicoverpa spp.The survey team records observations about pest infestation and motivate the farmers to control the pest insects through Bio-control agents (parasite/predators) which may shift to the next cotton crop as these pest insects also shift to the cotton crop usually.
Pest Scouting for Vegetables
- The spring vegetables as mentioned above, the infestation of insect pests and disease incidence is recorded on fortnightly basis.
- The farmers are guided to control the pests with IPM (Integrated Pest Management) techniques to minimize the use of pesticides to the possible extent to avoid health hazards associated with indiscriminate use of pesticides on vegetables
Pest Scouting for Orchards
- The field teams conduct survey of orchards regularly on fortnightly basis and record observations regarding pest infestation and diseases incidence.
- The farmers are guided for adopting appropriate plant protection measures according to the pest situation.